In Ethiopia, five districts from four regional states were selected for this survey. These included Amibara and Dubti districts from the Afar region, Zeway-Dugda district from the Oromia region, Kewet (Shoa robit) district from the Amhara region, and Raya-Alameta district from the Tigray region.
For South Sudan, five states were selected for conducting baseline socio-economic survey. The selected states include: Jubiek, Jongule, Aweil, Nayamurnang, and East Nile state. These locations were selected after consul- tation with the representatives of the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security, research organizations and research scientists. For each selected state there are number of sites as listed below:
- Jubeik State (Juba) - Juba, Luri, and Rajaf
- Jongule state (Bor) - Bor town, Panliet and Cuei Nyok)
- Aweil State (Aweil) - Nyalith, Awulic, Rice Scheme Nogwe, and Kuom
- Namurnang state (Kapoeta) - Kapoeta, Katico, Lomilmil and Kotomo
- East Nile state (Renk) - Renk, Rumeila, Mangara, Khor Ajais, Abu Khadra and Feyuer